Monday, December 14, 2009

Sharing Auto and Reusing codes

Its 4.00 AM. I’m the last person to get out of the Train. And as usual no auto was available. There was a small queue in front of the prepaid auto counter. For every 5 minutes an auto comes and the traffic police who was on duty asked the people to share the auto. When my turn came, I was asked to join 3 other persons. Since there was no other immediate option, I agreed for that. Of the 4 people, I’m the last person to get down. When I got down, the auto driver asked me the full fare from. Since I shared with the 3 other persons, I was not ready to pay the full amount. The normal auto fare is 80 Rs. He already charged 100Rs from the other 3 passengers. And now he was asking me 80 Rs. A small argument started between us. Since I was not fluent in Malayalam and I was not ready to spoil my morning, I gave up the argument and paid him 80 Rs.

A small question popped up in my mind? I have a personal code bin; in this code bin, I have all types of reusable piece of codes. Whenever possible, I try to use the code. When I use the reusable code, should I need to charge the customer for the full amount?

Reusing code is something similar to sharing the Auto isn’t?

Note: I’m not running my own company. The above question just popped up in my mind. The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent my present or past or future employers position, strategies or opinion.

No comments: