Wednesday, September 24, 2008

A postmortem.

Today at my office we had small session with the HR peoples.And as usual this session too had some games. I was made as a captain for one team. The game and its rules were very simple. But still we lost all 3 the game. After the session, I just did a postmortem of the entire game that we played. Here are the mistakes that I/We did

1. At first game we didn't have any game plan/Strategy. Every team member was in offensive mode. If a strike is successful then we will get maximum points, but the probability of getting a successful strike is very less. Few made good score, many missed (including me).

2. In the second game, we were given a target and asked to achieve it. Now we started to feel the pressure. But still most of the team members played offensively. The members who had good score in the first game failed to get same or a greater score in the second game. They had over confidence over their skills. When I asked them to play defensively they were not ready to hear my words. We were not even able to complete the game :(.

3. Even in the third game we were give a target and asked to achieve it. The pressure was immense. We were a team of 13, each one has to score at least 12 points to get the achieve the target. Now I made the entire team to play defensively. But still the people had over confidence over their skills. Most of the team members didn't follow the strategy that we devised. And even in this game too we lost.

The main problem that we had was we didn't bother about winning the game. We are not going to lose any thing if we lost this game. This was our/my mindset. Second thing was, most of my team members were senior to me. I couldn't force them to obey my words. Or to tell in other words I couldn't get the work done from the team :(.

The lesson that I learnt from this game is when we take the leadership role and start a new project
1. Have a plan/strategy.
2. Make sure that the entire team follows your word.

3. Have the determination to win

No comments: