Thursday, January 10, 2008

உடையார்

உடையார் was not as interesting as I expected. The story revolves around buliding of Brgadeeswarar Temple, 20 years after the பொன்னியின் செல்வன் period.
Most(I believe all) of the பொன்னியின் செல்வன் readers have one question. Who killed ஆதித்த கரிகாலன்?. I believed, it would be either Nandhini or Ravidasan&Co. In this book, the Balakumaran claims that it was Ravidasan & Co responsible for that murder, with the help of black magic. But it doesn't over there. செம்பியன் மாதேவி has also took part in the conspiracy !. 16 years after the murder அருள் மொழி வர்மன் come back into power and find who are the culprits(Ravidasn & Co ) and punish them. Those 16 years are ruled by மதுரந்தகன் and during those period Ravidasn & Co lead a Royal life in chola kingdom. I believe you can feel some big hole in the story here.
பொன்னியின் செல்வன் hero வல்லவராயன் வந்தியத்தேவ்ன் was introducted only in the second volume. He is married to குந்தவை and works as a ordinary govt servant in Chola kingdom. After reading about வந்தியத்தேவ்ன் my total interest to the novel has gone. I thought he would be at least a General in the army.
Long time back I read another balakumaran's novel called "முதல் யுத்தம்". I don't remember the hero of the story, I think he is a genral/lt in அருள் மொழி's army. The story revolves around destroying the "கந்தலுர் சாலை" an army training school in chera kingdom. According to முதல் யுத்தம், அருள் மொழி was young prince who lead the army. But in உடையார், after becoming the king of Chola kingdom he lead this campaign against கந்தலுர் சாலை and destroy it. (I read the novel முதல் யுத்தம் very very long time back and I have not completed Udiyar. I think what I have written in the above para is correct, but still I need to get that book and need to confirm it)

2 comments:

Premkumar said...

Thiyagu , Still u have soft copy of poniyin selvan in your system :-)

Thiyagarajan said...

Yep, Sivagamin sabatham also :)