Thursday, April 24, 2008

Jayakanthan Stories

From my childhood, I have access to Tamil weekly journals like Kalki, kumudam and Antha vikitan and Kanaiyazhi. Except for Kanaiyazhi, I used to read the other weeklies. The reason is its difficult to understand or I didn't had the maturity to understand the contents. I just look at its cover and keep it back at my fathers table. I have read several short and long stories in the other weeklies from my child hood. One thing that I feel is, all those stories follows some common patten.

Some days back when I was searching for PonniyenSelven's electronic version, I came across Jayakanthan's short stories collection in Project Madurai site along with several other literary works. After Kalki Krishnamorrthy, Bharathiyar and Bharathidasan the only name that was familiar to me in the list was Jayakanthan. I was just in mood to read the first story in the collection. When I read the first story in the collection, I was very much impressed by his writing and I read all the stories in the collections. Even though I don't have great exposure to recent Tamil literature, I feel that his stories are really different from what I read in the weeklies. I feel the way in which he expressed the human emotions/feelings is superb. If you have some free time then just try his stories.
Short Stories collection - part I , Part II, Part III

No comments: